Mirantis OpenStack 7.0 released
Mirantis, an OpenStack company, has released its OpenStack 7.0 distribution, which further improves change management, updates, upgrades, monitoring, diagnosis, and workload deployment.
This release is based on OpenStack Kilo, the 11th release of the open source cloud software that was made available back in April.
Mirantis doesn’t just take the downstream and run away to distribute it; they are among the leading contributors. They rank second after Rackspace in terms of contribution to Kilo andfixed around 911 bugs.
The company claims that 7.0 is one of the most stable Mirantis releases. Amar Kapadia of Mirantis wrote on the company blog, “Our engineering team has a maniacal focus on OpenStack testing and quality. In Kilo, we were the#1 bug fixer, with 900+ fixes. We also fixed an additional 300+ bugs in Mirantis OpenStack 7.0. This testing is what creates a stable hardened release. In this release, we expanded our longevity test-suite so we can find intermittent and difficult-to-find bugs.”
With this release the company is also extending the support period of the distribution from two years to three.
Some of the highlights of Mirantis OpenStack 7.0 are:
- Upgrade from previous versions of Mirantis OpenStack with reduced downtime and a new rollback capability;
- Migrate instances from hosts marked for maintenance;
- Write richer Fuel deployment plugins that can define new node roles and reserve virtual IP addresses;
- Specify flexible underlay network topology in a simple manner with network templates;
- Tune control-plane architecture by moving services onto separate controller nodes;
- Deploy controllers on virtual machines for small footprint deployment;
- Build hybrid clouds with hierarchical multi-tenancy;
- Secure integration of control-plane various IT systems with SSL endpoint encryption;
- Scale North-South traffic with Distributed Virtual Router (DVR);
- Integrate with container platforms, including Cloud Foundry and Kubernetes;
- Simplify bringing VMware environments to the cloud with new functions such as NSX-v and vSphere Distributed Switch (VDS);
- Deploy multiple Hadoop or Spark big data clusters in parallel through new Sahara features and gain additional flexibility via an updated plug-in for HDP v2.2.
The company said that Mirantis OpenStack 7.0 features out-of-the box integration with VMware vCenter while offering choice in networking, including, but not limited to, Cisco ACI, Juniper Contrail and VMware NSX fabrics.
The latest release of Mirantis OpenStack 7.0 is available for free downloadimmediately.